Rooms To Go - False Advertisement

Issue not resolved
Feb 05, 2010
review #170186

I bought my "Ultimate room package" last saturday as part of the weekend special where if i bought my living rooms set that weekend i would get a free 50" tv from best buy before the superbowl, which meant they only had one week to get me the tv.

Unfortunately, I had no idea until after i bought my living room set that Rooms to go had so many negative complaints about not delivering on time and the lack of coordination on their part to make sure deliveries are sent on a timely manner. So being a skeptic, after reading all the negative reviews, I decided to be proactive and called Rooms to Go to verify that i would get it before the super bowl like the advertisement guaranteed me and the phone operator on monday assure me i would have it by then and that it would be delivered to my house and nothing else could be done at that moment other than wait for the phone call telling me to be at my house to sign for it at a certain time.

Then came today which was Friday and still haven't gotten a phone call and i knew nobody delivers on Sunday, especially super bowl sunday of all sundays, therefore i only had saturday as the last day to get it before the superbowl; so being proactive once again I called and they gave me a reference number and to call best buy directly. After being on hold for a good 30 minutes...grrrr to my surprise i found out i wasn't getting my tv before the superbowl like i was guaranteed to. Definitely poor customer service and not living up to their word for someone taking advantage of an oportunity only to be mislead completely. Now i was given the option to pick up the TV monday at the local bestbuy which is the day after the superbowl which for someone reason since nobody told me that if i had called yesterday i could have picked it up Saturday.

Everything that phone operator told me monday was just garbage and if she had known better i would have been able to, being the proactive person i am, picked up my TV wednesday. Now after all this i'm skeptic about my furniture delivery coming next week and all the drama that's come with it. I would love to be proactive and make sure everything goes smoothly but they already called me to verify shipping time and i'm just awaiting that day to see how bad it's gonna be....i hate to be a pessimist but all these reviews are all telling me to take all the cautions necessary so i can't be screwed over.

bef528c
Had an experience with Rooms To Go?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Fletch

Feb 22, 2013 Varnville, South Carolina

I once bought a recliner from Fowler's Furniture. Not only this, but I also bought a 1 year (Extended Warranty) from a company that I had only heard good comments about...Until, I Had To Make A Claim...using their extended warranty that cost me nearly 40% of what the purchase price of the recliner was. That was when this retired English teacher was, as some say, "Taken to school." They sent a woman who acted miffed that she had to drive to the 'bowels of ***' is, I believe, her exact description of what I considered home. Next, she came to the Holmesian conclusion that the arm had been intentionally ripped instead of my granddaughter's leather shoe contacting the leather armrest and peeling the leather back I assume because of dry-rotted thread because the armrest ripped exactly where the stitching had taken place during manufacture of the chair. Well, Mr. Fowler and his 259lb. body sent me out a notice that when items insured through their insurance company were intentionally ripped the agreement between Seller(Fowlers) and customer(Me) were immediately terminated with no refund being owed to the customer for the remaining time on the extended warranty. Pretty good thinking for a man that didn't reach his obese size from sweating by running around his very large showroom. All I can honestly say is that I hope this letter will direct people to YOUR store, Rooms To Go, instead of the hefty Mr. Fowlers' den of thieves; workers who may know nothing of the crooked deals the... Show more

Max

May 13, 2012

I went to the RTG store located in Katy, Texas. The experience I had at the store was great. Where everything began to go downhill was the delivering process. I was told at the store that I would get a call a day prior to the delivery and that the delivery process ensures that my furniture will arrive in good condition. It's as if they (RTG) took pride in their promise to deliver furniture on time and in good condition.

Well for starters I never received a call prior to my furniture being delivered. I had to take the initiative to call RTG furniture customer service to make sure that RTG were still going to come on the date that RTG and I agreed on. The time to arrive would be between 2-6pm on a Saturday.

The delivery guys came close to 7 o'clock. The guys could barely speak English and were unable to understand a word that I spoke.

I was able to see the truck that housed my furniture and it was packed with so many other things. My furniture was wrapped POORLY!! The word poorly doesn't do justice to how my furniture was wrapped. A freaking disaster waiting to unfold! I always thought that the purpose of wrapping something is to wrap the entire item, not to leave so many openings.

Well, due to the lack of care provided to my furniture in regards to the way it was wrapped and the junk truck filled with so much stuff caused my brand new furniture to get snagged on something in the truck and tear as the movers were

Ha!

Feb 17, 2012

phdwillie, if you break it down, you paid $600 for that $600 bestbuy gift card. Supposedly, you were to get a dscounted price on the Samsung that was referenced from RTG. When you applied it to something else, you received no bennefit.

I hate to burst your bubble but I also hope you don't go rushing to RTG for the next furniture purchase for a "percieved" free gift card. You kinda got taken with the BestBuy gift card hype.

Haha

Jan 26, 2012

That sucks, just go to Sams! :grin :upset :( :?

someone in usa

Jan 24, 2012

If you look at the price... the TV is not free... I was looking for the bedroom and the set i saw they were charging $350 more when using the promotion... look online and compare and see it for your self... nothing is free... :roll

phdwillie

Dec 19, 2011

We bought a living room set from R2G and got the Best Buy TV offer with the deal. We ended up receiving a $600 Best Buy gift card, valid 5 days after delivery (which the salesman told us and is plainly stated in the paperwork). We were able to use the gift card AS A GIFT CARD!! In other words, we got $600 credit toward the purchase of a really nice LG 3D LED HDTV, not the Samsung that was offered. Why y'all are having so much trouble is beyond me. As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to outfit another room with R2G furniture just to get the $600 gift card, and apply it toward the purchase of a new computer.

BBY employee

Sep 26, 2011

From working customer service and having to deal with Rooms to Go orders, I agree. The whole this is a pain. They obviously don't know how to explain things. Most customers with their gift cards have no clue that they need to bring in their paperwork with it and they only work with the TV models listed on their paperwork. A barcode on the paperwork must be scanned in order for the so called "package" to work. I was so sick of getting yelled at by customers because they in turn were frustrated by RTG, sorry but how was this my or my collegues fault? All that seemed to get accomplished was making my day ***, and sorry but let me run this by you... Would you sit there and smile and continue to try to do your best while getting cussed out by an angry middle aged couple? Please people, others actually do share in your frustration. Be kind, do not, I repeat, DO NOT take things out on the incorrect people. Thank goodness I no longer have to deal with that, I'm sure my blood pressure is happy to.

Sorry guys, but a lot of you seem to be running into sales people who have no clue what they were selling in the first place, as to see the actual deal in writing, or at least on a computer so you know what you are getting into, and what your options are. I don't think this has changed, but the gift card values are ONLY good on select TVs, Best Buy cannot fix this in store, if you want to puchase a higher price TV you will end up paying the current retail price on the

JRJ

Aug 24, 2011

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!! RTG- DOES NOT FULLY HONOR THEIR WARRANTY!!!!! WATCH OUT- BEWARE OF THEIR SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I would to tell you about our experience at RTG... This is our story:
Last year (March, 2010) My spouse and I were in desperate need of a new Mattress, our old one had put in it's time, and over the years began to sag, or as we call it " the hot dog bun effect" where u are both rolling to the middle and practically laying on top of one another. So that weekend, as my spouse was looking through the newspaper, quickly caught a Sales Ad for RTG, that caught his eye, the Ad was for a Special RTG was offering, "BUY a NEW MATTRESS and RECIEVE a FREE TV, as our GIFT TO YOU" (although we could only choose between 4 different mattresses, we thought anything would be better than what we had), So we quickly got ready and headed to our nearest RTG (an hour and a half away from home). Once entering the store, we were approached immediately and asked if we needed help, (we thought, wow that is overly great service, we felt as if we were approached almost too quickly, considering I was still halfway outside trying to get our son's stroller through the door), Anyways, we told the salesperson we wanted to look at the Mattresses from the Sales Ad. We were taken immediately to them, our salesperson was extremely friendly and made us feel very comfortable, seemed to be knowledgeable about ALL the different mattresses and how they were made and

MCC

Jul 09, 2011

I have purchased a LOT of furniture from RTG. I would have to say at least 5 or six times. I have NEVER had a problem. I read the ad, I ask questions, and I do not sign until I fully understand the "deal. Y'all just want everything your way. Sometimes you have to suck it up and realize it always can't be your way.

scuffy

May 19, 2011

My wife and i had our rtg package delivered last sat, and i have to say i am extreamly happy with it. and just as we were told in the store, in jacksonville, we will be picking up our tv from best buy tomorrow (5 days after our furnature was delivered). i would recomend rtg to all my family and friends.

Troy

Apr 24, 2011

Sorry Kotis...I walked one of your own sales people into opening their own can of B.S. I asked about the entire room package, and was told "yes the TV is included". They did not say free. I asked again later, "so, basically I'm buying this entire room set, and you're throwing in the TV?" They said that they were. I asked what would happen if I didn't really need a TV, and magically the cost decreased by nearly the same amount the TV is for on the Best Buy website. I'm not sure if your employees understand, is the problem. You can't call something an 8 piece set, then charge extra for a TV. Why not just call it a 9 piece set? I think its misleading, but fortunately, I'm not *** either, and like someone else said, you gotta keep asking the right questions (aka...make your salespeople look like fools). Oh, and I went to Kane's.

CoolHandLuke

Apr 16, 2011

Sorry there KOTis, The television advertisement clearly says, "buy any select mattress and get a TV for FREE". so the whole "OH you just don't understand how it works" routine is bunk. The add says the word FREE about a hundred *** times, so suck it up and stand by your advertisement, period.

Mr Tonto

Apr 15, 2011

I was atempting to buy a carolins king mattress from the local Pensacola store as the are advertising a free TV with purchase.after going to the store to purchase it seems that the tv is not included and if I choose not to purchase the set including the box springs the the mattress is voided.Seems like false advertising or at the least misleading ads to me.

matt

Mar 28, 2011

I cant believe how crazy some people can be. If you were to actually listen to the people in the store and ask the right questions, there would no posts in here. They tell you in the store that the TV is through BEST BUY and that you do have to wait 5 days after the furniture is delivered to go and pick out a tv. Secondly, they are NOT a direct furniture store and never claim to be so there will be some delay in shipping on certain furniture. Best way to avoid all the confusion is to ask questions!!! I had a very pleasant experience in the store in Jacksonville Florida will recommend RTG to anyone looking to buy new furniture.

Benny Stansbury

Mar 24, 2011 La Prairie, Quebec

I to was a victom og the Rooms to Go Best Buy scam. I was told I would also get a 50" HDTV with my living room funiture; only to fing out when I got there the last tv was sold just the day before. How did I not figure this was going to happend. I was also told the TV being given with the package were "discontinued" I had to pay an additional $1000.00 to get a TV. This is False Advertisement and a scam

Jeff IN West Palm Beach FL

Mar 07, 2011

Hi today i decided to purchase a $2499 living room set from RTG. I found my set fast in store and was happy, but of course at checkout it was not in stock and 2 weeks away.they said the TV can only be picked up 5 days after the delivery of furniture. also said since my purchase was under $2500 that i only got 2 years financing instead of 4 as advertised. One end table i bought was 2 months out but they decided to give me a sightly different top that was $10 more for free. so i still lost my 2 extra years financing. I understand this isnt a horror story yet, but i plan on posting the details, we were so stressed out leaving there it ruined our day, it was just one of those places. my delivery date is scheduled for 4/18/11 for furniture, ill write how that goes, then i wait 5 days for tv and will write again. they actually gave me $600 credit for TV and i can buy whatever 1 i want, they claim, but i need to pay the tax on the TV, which is ok i guess. I just figure ill let everyone in on my experience, i hope this info helps. i also used a coupon from newspaper (palm beach Post, that got me $100 bucks off, so that was good. they haggled me about paying $60 per piece of furniture i bought for microfiber protection, and even had a manager come out and said see can only take it off the bill.. i thought that was weird. i just had to say " ill research it and figure it out" then no!!!! about 10X and that was that. so here is my story so far. Oh i offered cash payment for free... Show more

Macy

Feb 28, 2011

I would just like to say, since I know RTG members are reading this thread, that you guys should really clean up your act, this is not the first time I've heard these complaints as I've been searching to see if it is a good deal, but I would just like you guys to know that I will not be buying from you ever due to so many people being unhappy. I would fix your ways now considering I am sure I am not the only one.

Mrs. Florida

Feb 25, 2011

I purchased $4000 worth of furniture on Jan 22 and just getting it delivered tomorrow i am super scared after reading all the bad feedback from RTG, but i can tell you that i better get what i paid for if not there are in for a big surpise. my sister works for a new station and they will see me on the news if i am not satisfied. :? :?

Vidacovich

Feb 07, 2011

Wow, these are scary comments. I was going to buy a king mattress with 40" Samsung TV today but now I don't know what to do. Seems like maybe I should just go to a mattress store and buy my own tv.

1-20 of 37 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.